Monday, November 10, 2008

Teeth Floating and the Old Grey Mare


Why is the process of grinding hooks off teeth and grinding high spots off the horses bite called 'Floating?' If anyone knows, fill me in.


Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, Diez quit eating her daily ration. She is an easy keeper but not eating her food is NOT like her. Because I knew she was overdue for tooth care, I hoped that floating would bring back her appetite. Since she is 27-years old, I worried that something else could be amiss. I had a ridiculous work schedule with no room for vet appointments during office hours. So, I called Mika Ford who has a small animal clinic in BA but I had heard has a passion for horse dental care. Mika agreed to let me bring Diez to his place north of Collinsville last Tuesday night. He has mobil stocks and a driveway to work in as well as a headlamp attached to his forhead. I brought TC as well because I thought he could use a float too. Mika was wonderful! After Diez was sedated, he showed me some ulcers on the inside of her checks, described the condition of her teeth and explained what he would do. Then, he floated, telling me all the while what he was doing and why. Very educational. Then, the same drill with TC. Although not rainy, it was blustery and Mika took his time and did a great job. Then, the acid test. Would Diez eat again or was there a bigger problem. I am happy to say that Diez started eating immediately and has regained her normal appetite. So, if your horse needs tooth care, Mika is Great!
www.indianspringsanimal.com
918-455-4144
405-612-7223

1 comment:

  1. Cathy,

    So glad that the teeth floating helped her appetite. Diez is a grand lady; have always liked that beautiful girl. Life would be so much easier if they could just tells us "this or that hurts", wouldn't it?!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete